Labels

Friday, August 23, 2013

Tip of the Tongue Can't Remember the Word Phenomenon!

I need help Reddit.

I have a word I know that I always seem to forget even though I know what it means. It sits at the very tip on my tongue and taunts me until I remember it, and I need to end this battle for good! It means:

A specific element of something; something that requires very thorough knowledge of that which it is a part of. I might use it to say: "No, I wouldn't read, 'A Rhetorical Analysis of the Literary Analysis of Plato's Analysis of Logical Analysis,' it's too _______ for an undergrad." Meaning: this book is way to specific and involved for someone who doesn't understand the intricacies of the subject.

Please help! This word is keeping me from finishing a paper.

[–]turdbeast

Abtruse? Inscrutable?



[–]xheist

abstruse



[–]Inquisitive

esoteric?



[–]Captain_Sock

Alas, no!



[–]Inceptagon

http://m.dictionary.com/synonym/Specialized/?linkId=ibc5yn

It's caused by a glitched train of thought. Best way to cure this is to just crawl through the thesaurus as hard as you can with as many related words as you can.

Second best way to cure this is to pretend it's "the game" and to stop thinking about it for a while. When you come back to it later, it will usually just pop right into your head.



[–]Captain_Sock

Alright, I'm down for forgetting it. There's just a wall in my mind that won't let me access it. I'll leave it alone for a few.



[–]ididntsaynothing

Complex? Complicated?


[–]Captain_Sock

Not those.



[–]DangerousBillPublished

specialized



[–]Captain_Sock

No...



[–]CrazyHand

Verbose? Elaborate? Convoluted?



[–]Antiochli

Pedantic? Serpentine? Rococoesque? Specificity?



[–]nahui

No, I wouldn't read, 'A Rhetorical Analysis of the Literary Analysis of Plato's Analysis of Logical Analysis,' it's too rococoesque for an undergrad.


[–]IAmTheMrGuy

Obfuscated, cryptic?



[–]primadonna68

Tenebrous? Acute? It's a pity it's not esoteric because that word seems perfect for your purpose.


[–]Captain_Sock

None of these so far. Should the word ever be dropped into my mind I'll put it up here.



[–]xheist

Arcane

No comments:

Post a Comment