Labels

Friday, August 23, 2013

Grouping Backlinks by Type?


Howdy y'all.
A client I'm working with asked me the other day if it was possible to view backlinks by type - have a report saying something like "20 backlinks are from PR, 50 are from blogs, 100 are from directories"; etc. etc.
Personally, I have never encountered anything with this functionality in SEOMoz or Raventools. But I'm curious if there is anything that can do that. Seems like it'd be one hell of a nifty tool for SEOs - but it might be impossible (how does a Robot tell what's a blog and what's not?)
Thoughts?

[–]HalNavel 2 points 1 day ago
Page type classification is a machine learning task, and there aren't any companies doing a passable job that I've seen.
You're better off training an analyst, an intern, or an offshore worker to classify pages like this. The upside is that you can get more granular than software, and identify link location or anchor text type.

[–]RabidCoyotePowered by Volusion[S] 1 point 1 day ago
This is just a small freelance gig I'm working on, so I don't have the resources to have someone else analyze these links. However, I feel that I can usually identify what's a blog, what's PR, what's a directory, etc. - I just don't have the capacity to do that for say 50,000 links all day

[–]AndySEOSelf-Employed 1 point 1 day ago
Link Research Tools is paid, but gives you a few free reports to start off with. That will do exactly what you need. Nothing free though to my knowledge.

[–]HalNavel 1 point 1 day ago
That will do exactly what you need.
I use LRT and it's classification is so unreliable that you will end up manually checking everything to get a usable result, which is exactly what the tool should be saving you from.

[–]AndySEOSelf-Employed 1 point 1 day ago
fair comment, I suppose it depends on the level of detail you need. LRT gives a pretty decent estimate.

[–]pavement_rageSEO Manager 1 point 1 day ago
Not many tools do this because its pretty hard to do. If you have access to ScreamingFrog you could use list mode and the custom fields to look for unique identifiers of each link type

[–]deyterkourjerbs@deyterkourjerbs 1 point 1 day ago
Couldn't you ask this question on Friday?

[–]RabidCoyotePowered by Volusion[S] 1 point 1 day ago
Ummm....I guess I'm new here but what's the significance of Friday?

[–]deyterkourjerbs
I could respond to your question with a link to a blog I'm posting then?

[–]RabidCoyotePowered by Volusion[S] 1 point 1 day ago
Oh.
I thought Friday was like "Foolish Question Fridays" or something. :P
I'd love to see your blog, man. I'll be sure to watch out for it and add some comments when you post it.

[–]imyxle 2 points 1 day ago
I think Thursday Thoughts should be followed up with Foolish Question Fridays.

[–]RabidCoyotePowered by Volusion[S] 1 point 1 day ago
I PUT ALL MY KEYWORDS IN META KEYWORDS AND I'M NOT RANKING #1 FOR "ONLINE STORE".
SEO PLS RESPOND.

[–]HalNavel 2 points 1 day ago
U NED TWO META KEYWORDS TAGS, ONE FOR BING ONE FOR GOOGLE

[–]koloniaCHAMP 1 point 1 day ago
PUT DEM KEYWORDS IN DESCRIPTION FOR YAHOO! NO MEANINGFULL SENTENCES - BUT KEYWORDS!

No comments:

Post a Comment