Labels

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Make sure you subscribe to a writing group on Facebook, etc

Or a mailserv group of some kind. This is so useful--I don't have to go out and search for contests to submit pieces to, I just go to the Facebook page for this writing group and people are always posting random contests. Because of this I was able to find a perfect contest for my novel. I had that manuscript laying around forever, just didn't know who to send it to so when someone said this contest was looking for challenging or experimental manuscripts I knew that was what I had been waiting for.
I cannot wait until I get a prescription for my adhd because once I get that I know I'll be sending off hundreds of poems and stories.


[–]Raawwrr
Is there a reason you're not sharing your writing group?

[–]Prankster_Bob
It's the page for the writing program at the college i went to in undergrad. But I don't know if that means that you can't like it so let me go get the link
https://www.facebook.com/groups/BerryCreativeWriting/10151657890550847/?ref=notif&notif_t=like

[–]aaronwright
Great. Now I have to go to college.

[–]AMeadonAuthor
There are a bunch of "Open Call" pages that I find extremely useful for placing short stories.
Open Call: Horror.
Open Call: SF&F
The Horror Writers Association also has an open Facebook page that you can join.
As far as groups of authors go, I recommend only joining a group if the other members are of a similar skill level to your own, and if they have the same goals as you do for their writing.
I was in a large group (800+ members) of people who were mostly hobbyists not intent on publication and I was very frustrated. I take my writing very seriously and most of the people in that group did not. It was a bad fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment